Complaints, safety and outages

There are a number of steps you can take if you need extra help with a problem with your gas or electricity supply. For example, you might need information about who to contact to resolve complaints and safety issues, or who to call if your gas or electricity goes out.

Who can I complain to about my retailer or bill?

Step 1: Contact your retailer

Talk to your retailer first. For information on your billing rights with electricity and gas retailers, visit YourChoice.

Step 2: Contact the Energy and Water Ombudsman Victoria

If your retailer is unable to resolve your issue, contact the Energy and Water Ombudsman Victoria (EWOV).

The EWOV has the power to investigate and resolve disputes, with the aim of settling problems fairly, independently and as promptly as possible with no charge.

Complaints can be lodged online or call 1800 500 509.

Who can I notify about a safety issue?

Energy Safe Victoria is the independent technical regulator responsible for electricity, gas and pipeline safety in Victoria. Telephone 9203 9700.

Who can I call about power outages and blackouts?

Electricity distributors are responsible for the poles and wires that bring electricity to your home or business.

They are regulated monopoly companies that operate infrastructure in a particular geographic area.

If the power goes out, it is usually the distributor who will arrange for it to be restored.

Find out who your distributor is at Energy and Earth Resources or call 136 186.

Who can I call about gas leaks?

Gas incidents are quite rare but do occur from time to time. To report gas leaks or other gas emergencies to your distributor, call the emergency number on your gas bill for assistance at any time. You can find out who your distributor is at Energy and Earth Resources or call 136 186.